Costas Kapakas, "URANYA"
Summer 1969. Dictatorship. In a small country town, young Achileas breaks his leg by falling off the yard wall of the local cinema. He wanted to see Brigitte Bardot naked...
However, during his visit to the city to treat his broken leg, for the first time in his life he sees a television! The program informs about the launching of Apollo to the moon. The idea of the launching becomes Achileas' obsession and along with his friends they collect money, in order to purchase a TV set. However, soon, the dilemma becomes imperative. Will they buy a television or "visit" all together Uranya in order to be taught the secrets of love?
The situation gets even more complicated when the authorities arrest Achileas' father along with the father of a good friend in order to intimidate others: Spiros Agnew, who will visit Greece, intends to visit the small country town as well and so everything must show quiet and "friendly" to the regime... Achileas and his friends will not give up that easy... In order to buy the television of their dreams, they will accept to distribute Greek and American flags to the people of the town.
Achileas' disappointment is immense, when he discovers that the money collected was stolen by his friends, for other, more "erotic" destinations. The unexpected arrival of a television Uranya in town by the "town's crazy man" will result in watching Apollo's launch in the cafe in a rather paradoxical way... whereas the local cinema will stay deserted.
INTERNATIONAL AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- The film was awarded the following prizes at the 48th Thessaloniki International Film Festival, 2007:
- Second Award for Fiction Film, State Cinema Awards 2007
- Best Screenplay Award (Costas Kapakas), State Cinema Awards 2007
- Best Supporting Actor Award (Manolis Mavromatakis), State Cinema Awards 2007
- Best Music Award (Panayotis Kalatzopoulos), State Cinema Awards 2007
- Best Costumes Award (Eva Nathena), State Cinema Awards 2007
- 3rd Festival Internacional de Cinema Do Funchal, Portugal, 2007:
- Audience Award
- 15th Greek Film Festival "Antipodes," Australia, 2007, screening
- Festroia International Film Festival, Portugal, 2007, screening
- LUCAS – International Children's Film Festival, Frankfurt, 2007, main competition
- Greek Cinema Days, Nuremberg, 2008, screening
- 2nd Annual New York City Greek Film Festival, USA, 2008, screening
- San Francisco Greek Film Festival, USA, 2008, screening
- Kristianland International Children's Film Festival, Norway, 2008
|Directed by||Costas Kapakas|
|Art Director||Olga Leontiadou|
|Costume Design||Eva Nathena|
|Sound Recording||Marinos Athanassopoulos|
|Cast||Maria Grazia Cucinotta (Uranya), Aris Tsapis, Andreas Kyriakakis, Nikos Vasilikiotis, Yorgos Liatis, Michalis Tsirakis (the 5 teenagers), Dimitris Piatas, Taxiarhis Chanos, Tasos Palantzides, Manolis Mavromatakis, Dina Michailidi, Maria Filippou, Fotini Baxevani, Maria Antoulinaki, Vaso Iatropoulou|
|Financial Supervisor||Marina Stylianou|
|Production Manager||Costas Kephalas|
|Executive Producer||Costas Labropoulos|
|Shooting duration||9 weeks|
|Shooting locations||Chania, Crete|
|Film Processing||TECHNICOLOR (Rome)|
|Pre-production period||1/2 - 7/6/2006|
|Shooting period||8/6 - 28/7/2006|
|Post-production scheduled||August - Beginning of November 2006|
|Zero copy||Beginning of November 2006|
|Distribution||December 7, 2006 by ODEON|
|2006, 35mm, color, 100', Dolby Digital|