Margarita Manda, "GOLD DUST"
Athens, today. Three siblings face the prospect of selling their family home. The potential buyers will tear it down and erect a modern building in its place. Alexis defends the sale, documenting his position with the financial benefits that this will bring.
Anna reacts negatively. For her their family home is the memory of her childhood. Amalia hesitates in making a decision, trapped between her emotional reservations and the practical needs. The heroes are in conflict with themselves in a city that is in conflict with the memory of its history. The sale of the family home functions as a pretext for the heroes to bring to light their interpersonal relations. The image they have of each other in absentia, the "non dit" that characterizes family ties and reveals raw wounds when the surface of childhood is scratched. A surface sprinkled with gold dust, like a fairytale.
But the fairytale is weakened by a chance occurrence. A message from the past functions as a catalyst, prompting the heroes to make their own mark in their own age. To find a balance between the debt of memory and the debt of forgetfulness. To come of age, taking the present of their own lives in their hands.
INTERNATIONAL AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Hellenic Film Αcademy, 2001:
- Best Supporting Actress Award (Anna Mascha)
- Panorama of European Cinema, Athens, 2009, competition:
- Audience Award
- International Festival of Film & Culture, Patras, Greece, 2010:
- Best Fiction Film
- 24 Griechische Filmwoche Munchen, Munich, 2010, screening
- London Greek Film Festival (LGFF,) London, 2010, competition
- Cairo International Film Festival (CIFF,) Cairo, International Competition, 2010
- 14th Annual European Union Film Festival, Chicago, 2011, screening
- San Francisco Greek Film Festival, 2011, USA, screening
- Napoli Film Festival, Italy, 2011, competition
- New York City Greek Film Festival, USA, 2011, screening
- Ciné-Club Hellénique de Luxembourg, screening, 2010
|Directed by||Margarita Manda|
|Sound Recording||Nikos Triantafillou|
|Sound Mix||Costas Varibopiotis|
|Sound Editing & Design||Aggela Despotidou|
|Assistant director||Margarita Gariou|
|Cast||Mania Papadimitriou, Argiris Xafis, Anna Mascha, Dimitris Xanthopoulos, Despoina Kourtis, Thanassis Chalkias, Costas Filippoglou, Yiorgos Souxes, Elias Petropouleas, Michele Valley, Costas Apostolidis, Nickolas Pachakis, Theo Augier, Kostis Korontzis|
|Production Manager||Mathaios Voulgaris|
|Co-producers||Multichoice Hellas/NOVA, Margarita Manda|
|Producers||Costas Labropoulos, Costas Kephalas|
|With the contribution||Greek Film Centre|
|With the support||City of Athens Cultural Organisation|
|Theater Release||February 25, 2010|
|2009, 35mm, color, 85', Dolby Digital|